Click the links below to see available courses.
Active Shooter for Public-Safety
The following section provides a brief overview of the course from subject matter experts who helped develop it.
Subject Matter Expert Video
- Matthew Shenk, Radioroom Supervisor, Lancaster County-wide Communications, Pennsylvania
- Matt began working for Lancaster County in 1984 as a Telecommunicator and has been an Assistant Supervisor or a Primary Supervisor for the last 20 years. Matt currently holds certifications as: an Emergency Number professional, a PA State certified 911 Supervisor, an APCO Radioroom Supervisor, an Incident Dispatcher, and an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. Matt is also an APCO Adjunct Instructor for Active Shooter and a CommCenter Supervisor. Matt has an extensive background in fire and EMS and is an active EMT and volunteer firefighter. Matt is a primary responder for Lancaster County's Field Communications Unit. Matt was on scene for the Nickel Mines Amish School shooting, and a host of other homicide and other major events in South Central PA, as a responder with the Communications Unit. Matt lives outside of Manheim, Lancaster County, with his wife Lori and his daughter Sara.
Subject Matter Expert Video
- Bernard Brown, Assistant Director of Emergency Services, City of Danville, Virginia
- Bernard J. Brown is currently the Assistant Director of Emergency Services for the City of Danville, Virginia. His 25 years in Emergency Services began in 1984 as a driver for a private ambulance company just outside of Buffalo, New York, where he was born and raised. "Buster," as he is known by friends and colleagues, came up through the ranks, so to speak. A list of job titles includes EMT, dispatcher, shift supervisor, and 911 Operations Manager. He brought a higher level of state and national training certifications to the agency staff. Buster has been involved with both NENA and APCO on both state and national levels. He is an APCO adjunct instructor and a DCJS instructor, and an American Heart Association BLS instructor. Buster has lived in Virginia for 4 years and lives in Danville with his wife, Nancy, and four daughters: Rebecca, Laura, Michelle, and Jessica. His son Adam lives in South Carolina, and his son Korie lives in New York. They are both pursuing their own careers in Public Safety.
Subject Matter Expert
- Robert L. Smith, RPL, Director of Strategic Development, APCO International
- Bob Smith has been in public safety and emergency management for over 16 years, rising through the ranks of the fire service from Firefighter/EMT to Captain of the department's hazardous materials response team and through the ranks of public safety communications from telecommunicator to 9-1-1 Director for the second largest county in West Virginia and President of the WV Enhanced 9-1-1 Council. Along the way, Bob has been actively involved in emergency management on the state and local levels, served as a nationally registered EMT, a College Campus Safety Officer, an EPA-certified hazardous materials technician, and a liaison to the US Secret Service and US Capitol Police. Smith currently serves as Director of Strategic Development for the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), International with both a public safety communications industry role and an International Association role.